Report: Incognito says he's retiring from football

April 10, 2018 - 11:39 am
Categories: 

In a rather strange turn of events, Buffalo Bills guard Richie Incognito is reportedly stepping away from the game of football.

The veteran guard has reportedly told Vic Carucci of The Buffalo News that he is retiring.

.@68INCOGNITO told me he has informed the #Bills that he is retiring. He said he spoke with team owner Terry Pegula, along with GM Brandon Beane and coach Sean McDermott.

— Vic Carucci (@viccarucci) April 10, 2018

According to Carucci, Incognito told him that health issues were part of the reason in his decision to retire.

@68INCOGNITO just told me the following: "I'm, done. That's it. It's been a long career. Went to the doctor. My liver and kidneys are shutting down. The stress is killing me. It's just about doing what's right. I just want to be in the Hall of Fame." Full story to come.

— Vic Carucci (@viccarucci) April 10, 2018

Incognito has spent the past three seasons with the Bills, and recently took a pay cut for the final year of his three-year contract. According to Spotrac, Incognito was in line to make $4.75 million this season as a result of the pay cut.

However, Incognito has been very open about his displeasure with the pay cut. Less than a week ago, Incognito publicly fired his agent via his Twitter account.

The Bills guard has reportedly told Carucci that his pay cut had nothing to do with the decision to retire, but he wasn't happy about the decision.

.@68INCOGNITO on his pay cut: "It pisses me the f off. The contract and all that pissed me the f off and all that, but (retiring) has nothing to do with that." On whether there was a chance he'd change his mind: "Absolutely not." More to come.

— Vic Carucci (@viccarucci) April 10, 2018

Carucci also reports that Incognito will be informing the NFLPA of his retirement to make things official. Although, earlier on Tuesday, he did send a tweet to the NFLPA, as well as Assistant Executive Director of External Affairs at the NFLPA, George Atallah:

@nflpa @GeorgeAtallah
I’m done --

— Richie Incognito (@68INCOGNITO) April 10, 2018

Incognito has started in all 48 games for the Bills over the last three seasons, and started in three games with the Bills in a short stint with the team in 2009. The 12-year veteran has also spent time with the St. Louis Rams and Miami Dolphins in his career.

With his retirement, Incognito joins Eric Wood as another veteran lineman to step away from the game this offseason. Buffalo has already traded former starting left tackle Cordy Glenn as part of the deal that gave Buffalo the 12th overall pick in the NFL Draft.

The Bills' offensive line will have a huge hole open up at the left guard position. They could either have he position filled with a veteran like Ryan Groy or John Miller, or via the NFL Draft in nearly two weeks.

Keep it locked to WGR and WGR550.com for the latest on this developing story.

Comments ()